Monday, July 13, 2009

What is the best software for tax preparation?

I just became a bookeeper but don't know what is the best software to buy. I'm going to be filing basic tax returns and doing the normal bookkeeping for companies.

What is the best software for tax preparation?
If you're going to be doing this professionally, you'll need professional software. You can't use the consumer products for commercial tax prep operations.





Most of the major tax software companies publish professional tax prep software. TaxWorks is pretty popular but by no means the only player.





For bookkeeping software, both Quickbooks and Peachtree are hard to beat. Quickbooks is easier to get up and running but Peachtree tends to be more customizable.





If you go with Quickbooks, it integrates with Intuit's Pro Series tax software quite nicely though most accounting packages can export information in a format that most professional tax software can import to speed the tax return prep process along.
Reply:DO NOT get TaxCut. I mistakenly bought that software for this year. I paid good money to get Federal + State + E-file. I couldn't get it to work. I had to be online with the Help Desk for a couple hours just to get the State forms downloaded, and then even they weren't ever able to get E-file to work. I had to print it out, find stamps and envelopes, and take it to the Post Office myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment